The liturgical colour green symbolizes the renewal of vegetation and generally of living things,
and the promise of new life.
Thought of the Week
How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. ~Anne Frank
Furnishings for the Family of Refugees we are Sponsoring
We are asking people to set aside and save items for the family of refugees we are sponsoring (Mary & Joseph Koroma and their two children, 7 year old Isaac and 4 year old Joseph.) Donations in good condition are appreciated. We do not know when the family may arrive. If you are willing to save and donate item(s), please let us know so we can take that item off the list. If you have an item to donate that is not on the list, but you believe would be practical, we would like to hear from you. We do not have a central collecting place but if need be, things could be stored. Please email or phone Mary Mitchell (firstname.lastname@example.org, 519-836-3767) or leave a note on the posted list in the church hall. Thank you.
Here are just a few examples of furnishings still needed for the kitchen of a 2 bedroom apartment: cutting knives, can opener, scissors, peeler, etc.; cooking utensils; measuring cups; casserole dishes;baking trays.
For a complete list of needs please download: Refugees-Furnishings-List.
Our summer worship series. There will be one service only at 10:00 am until, and including, September 2. During the summer, the Wednesday 9:30 am Holy Eucharist (BCP) will continue.
From Sunday, July 1 – Sunday, September 2
Holy Eucharist 10:00 am
The Wednesday 9:30 am BCP Holy Eucharist continues throughout the summer.
- How Can I Sign up to Help with the Refugee Family?
A sign up sheet has been placed on the lower level of the divider in the parish hall. You can choose from:
X Child Care
X Settlement & Orientation
X Phone & Information Technology
X Transportation of Furniture
There are leader and member roles so please consider how you would like to help. Laurie Douglas and Mary Mitchell have resources to help with each of these tasks. Laurie may be contacted at 519-837-8647,
and Mary at 519-836-3767, mitchellmary
- How Can I Donate to Sponsor our Refugee Family?
We are now accepting monetary donations, which will help provide for the family in their first year in Canada. You can give by:
- cheque (made out to St. James the Apostle), memo line “Refugee Fund”; mailing address is St. Matthias and St. James the Apostle, 86 Glasgow St. N. Guelph, N1H 4W2
- credit card: to donate directly at Canada Helps (please note, a tax receipt is generated immediately) at:
Then go to the DONATE NOW button and from the drop down menu beginning with General under “Apply your donation to a specific fund set up by this charity”, be sure to choose Refugee Family Fundraising. Thank-you for your support!
Our wonderful office volunteers are on hiatus until Tuesday, September 11. Email, voice mail, and Canada Post mail will be checked regularly. A great big thank you goes to our devoted office volunteers!
The sign up sheet is downstairs on the dividers in the hall. We need you to come to water the gardens twice in a week. To have only one week of duty, it will take 16 volunteers. Pick your week while there is lots of room on the calendar!
Like Our Page
Thoughts for the Week
- Listen June 3, 2018One of the toughest disciplines for any person is to actively engage the art of listening without planning our own next statement, without already judging the merits of the other, without thinking about what we will be doing next. Another description of this kind of listening is prayer. True prayer does not send the Divine […]Trudy Lebans
- Love in the Fire May 19, 2018The first mention of Pentecost as a feast of the church comes in the second and third centuries. Before that, it probably remained a Jewish feast migrating from a harvest festival celebrated fifty days after Passover, to a celebration of the giving of the Law. In both the Orthodox and Western churches, Pentecost is a […]Trudy Lebans
- God of the Restless World May 19, 2018I wonder how many people arose at dawn to watch the royal wedding? I know all kinds of folks who recognized that something had changed in the world to make this wedding possible; and this couple, regardless or because of their wealth and talent, could make this a seed for more changes to come. We […]Trudy Lebans
- Fierce and Loving: The Ones who Nurture May 13, 2018What does the feast day of St, Matthias, Mother’s Day and these readings have in common? Maybe nothing, but here is what has been rolling around in my brain. When I think of mothering, I don’t think particularly of myself, or even of my own lovely mother. Some of us were fortunate to have loving […]Trudy Lebans